While I was thinking about this problem. I found out a solution that can be implemented by using only the tools that come with the Window 7. The tools are
1. Ability to attach virtual hard disk
Many of you might have got what I am up to for others let’s see HOW TO PROTECT DATA.
The process comprises of making a new .VHD file
- Attaching it
- Encrypting it
- Then adding the data
- Finally detaching it
ATTACHING A .VHD FILE
- · Open the start menu
- · Type compmgmt.msc
- · Double click on the storage option
- · Double click on the disk management
- · Go to the actions pane
- · Click on more actions
- · Finally click on create VHD
- · Enter the location and decide a file name
- · Then click on the dynamic expanding option
- · Enter the amount you would need to store the data
- · Now the disk is made but still the area will appear to be unallocated and will appear in black
- · Right click on the disk and then make a new simple volume
- · Make it a separate drive
- · In the end it will ask for the drive letter you want to assign to the drive. Choose any one you like
- · Now after attaching the drive. The drive will be present in the ‘my computer’ on the drive letter that was chosen by you.
- · Open MyComputer
- · Right click on the drive just added
- · And then select TURN ON BITLOCKER
- · Then it will ask for a password. Specify a nice and strong password one which is hard for anybody to guess and at the same time that is easy for you to understand
- · On clicking next your drive will start encrypting
- · In the end the BITLOCKER will ask you to save a file. This is the file which you can use in case you forget the password. Save it in a safe place and it is not recommended that you should keep the file in the same system as that of the drive and data. I keep my file on SkyDrive (skydrive.live.com).
The default icon of the drive will change to something which a lock.
Adding data to the encrypted is same as adding data to a normal drive just copy and paste.
Finally when you are done. Now you will need to detach the drive. Though you can keep the drive attached it will surely attract anyone who wants to access your private data. So a good practice is to detach it and then reattach it whenever needed.
- · To detach the drive just safely remove it. Click on the icon on the tray that says SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE AND EJECT MEDIA. And then remove MSFT VIRTUAL DISK SCSI DISK DEVICE. You are done. And now your data is safe and also portable. You can just copy the .VHD file and take it anywhere you go in your portable drive and then attach it whenever needed.
mail me @ firstname.lastname@example.org